Saturday, September 5, 2009

Refrigerator Pickles

I planted 2 cucumber plants in my garden this year never knowing that they would yeild more than 50 cucumbers. I don't eat them and Jake can only eat so many on his own. I have given many away but decided to make pickles with some of them. I found the following recipe online & added a few more ingredients to make them a bit more to my liking. They are so easy to make & so delicious. The recipe is as follows.

Refrigerator Pickles
1 C distilled white vinegar
1 T kosher salt
2 C white sugar
1 tsp celery seed
1 tsp mustard seed
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp dried dill
6 C sliced cucumbers
1 C sliced vidalia onion
1 C sliced red pepper
1-2 finely minced fresh hot chili peppers (seeds removed)
In a saucepan heat vinegar, salt & sugar to a boil & boil for a few minutes till sugar is disolved. Remove from heat & add celery seed, mustard seed, garlic powder & dill.
Place the remaining ingredients in a large bowl & pour the vinegar/spice mixture over. Mix together & let stand for 30 minutes.
Transfer to sterile containers and store in refrigerator.
Enjoy !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment